Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Chapter 10: What about Literacy 3.0 Continuining Professional Development


Chapter 10: What about Literacy 3.0 Continuing Professional Development:



“Teachers are often technology users, but staying abreast of the continuous development of technology that could impact literacy learning and the acquisition of new literacies takes considerable time and planning.”(Johnson,153)

I found it very interesting to learn about the two models of professional development; PLCs & PLNs. Both in which help teach new literacies, along with how to incorporate technology (social media, and how to navigate.)

PLNs include: social media, blogs, podcasts, videos, ect.

As a blogger myself, I feel as my learning for each chapter has enhanced due to my blogging. I reflect on the information I gain through reading, and in many cases I am able to reflect on experiences in my education. I truthfully believe blogging gives students some free rain when it comes to reading. Instead of answering study guide questions, which I am sure students dread; by writing a blog you have the freedom on what you write about. What you found interesting in the chapter, what you liked, what you didn’t like, and then reflect. By giving students this freedom you are engaging them more, you’re allowing them to write what they think and feel, and they are able to express this. Something many teachers don’t allow. Some teachers believe that their thoughts and ideas are all that matter, when in fact, the student’s thoughts and ideas are the most important, they will become our future.

The other point in which I want to comment on is the use of digital teacher portfolios. I think that is a really interesting way for students to not only learn a bit about their teacher, but the projects that he or she has completed in the past with other classes, the importance of the projects, and the objectives and outcomes. I think by showing this information to students, teachers are exposing them to expectations of the course/project and the ways in which they will grow through this project. Each project has a set of specific outcomes. In particular; how to grow from this, what you will learn, and how can this be applied to the real world.


1 comment:

  1. Being able to show parents what excellent work looks like, average and below is also helpful!

    ReplyDelete