Saturday, November 19, 2016

Chapter 7: Writing Online.


Like I am sure many of my classmates have said on their blog, this chapter brought together all these ideas and concepts of using technology in a classroom setting, giving it purpose and meaning in a way in which I think it could be very successful. Technology was never used like this when we were kids, and I think that is why I was so skeptical about anything but a traditional way of learning.

My favorite quote from this chapter was, “Writing is a complex,multifaced, and purposeful act of communication.” (Pg 99) I think it exemplifies that writing has a multitude of purposes, and I think many people think of writing, as clean cut writing, with the purpose of learning, but it really is about communication. Communicating ones thoughts, ideas, opinions, background knowledge etc. Through your writing you are participating in your right of freedom of speech, you may teach someone something through your writing, and learn something through what you read. Writing is not just writing with pen and paper anymore, its writing online, using technology to write, express ones thoughts.

Everything now a days seems to be online, or technology based. I just previously went for my Foundations of Reading Mtel, and I truthfully don’t know why I was surprised to find the test was a computer based exam.  As our world evolves technology evolves, or should it be as our technology evolves our world evolves. I think the two are closely tied together. As we evolve, how we learn, how we communicate change and transform to satisfy the needs to successfully live, learn,  and strive evolve as well. We live in a world in which always will evolve, and we must become adaptable to this evolution. Before we know it, we will be living in a world with flying cars, and it is up to us to adapt our ways, (teaching instruction, the way we live, etc.) to evolve with our world to become successful.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that we are not used to technology being used so frequently in a classroom! That is also why I am so skeptical about it as well. Reading about how all of these new websites and apps are being used in an elementary classroom now a days seems crazy to me! After learning about many of them in this class I am now understanding why they are helpful and with the help of teachers they are not that difficult to use but it still seems different. I think that writing online is a great source because everything is online now. By writing online you can access a piece of writing from all over the world and get feedback on it. Just like in this class, it is based off of the computer and writing in blogs. I had never made my own blog before this class and now that I have used it, I think that it is a great way to relay information and comment on each others work!

    ReplyDelete